Re: Oracle VS.Microsoft SQL

From: Christian Kaas <c.kaas_at_odn.de>
Date: 1997/08/18

Oracle runs on almost any platform.
i used it without trouble on sun, hp-ux, win nt, win 311, win95, ibm ....
ms sql server is bound to windows nt. the smp architecture of nt is not as efficient as the ones available under unix. scalability of oracle is very well. i often develop on my notebook running personal oracle 7.x and port the stuff to any oracle database on nt, unix and i works seemlessly.

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:48:39 -0400, chris <x_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Ricardo Villanueva RĂ­os wrote:
>
>> Please tell me the correct version from oracle to use in HP9000 Mod
>> 925
>> 128 MB Ram 2 Gigas HD Unix-HP Ver 9.25 ?.
>>
>> wich are the benefits are using Oracle vs Microsoft SQL keeping in
>> mind
>> that oracle is in Unix and SQL is in NT 4.0 ?
>
> Oracle, while it does have some problems, is a database company.
>Microsoft is an operating system company, and given their average
>quality levels on their premier product(s), why would you want to run
>the stuff they don't take too seriously, like their databases?

Christian Kaas
Client/Server development and consulting Fax. 49-9129-5518
Phone 49-9129-5508 Received on Mon Aug 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT