Re: Optimizer Mode

From: Dr. Blue <ou79138_at_deere.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

Keep in mind that the statistics are generic descriptions that don't necessarily change with the actual data. For example, if you have 30,000 current employees and every month you drop 1,000 and add 1,000, changes are that the percent of males and females remains about the same, and so is the distribution by department. Small percentage changes won't make a difference, neither will it matter if you have 35,000 rows instead of 30,000.

When you need to refresh stats is when the tables have significant changes such as increasing five times in size, as when you move from test to production, or when you do a very large load.

In other words, you should have a good idea of what tables really impact your database. Those are the ones you analyze and for those it is worth taking the time to learn more about them.

Richard