Re: Moving Datafiles

From: <sgulukot_at_bbnplanet.com>
Date: 1997/08/15

Relocating datafiles? You don't have to recreate the controlfile. The following steps should do it for you.

  1. Alter tablespace <whatever name> offline;
  2. Now at Operating system prompt actually move the datafiles to new location(s).
  3. Alter tablespace rename datafile <'/path/filename' (of oldfile)> to <'/path/filename' (of newfile)>; This command with associate the controlfile with new datafile.
  4. Alter Tablespace <whatever name> online;

Hope this will help you.

Sugu