Re: oracle sql*net config files?!?!?!

From: Kendall Willets (TV DBA) <willetsk_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: 1997/08/14

Jonathan E Geibel wrote:
 > some say the only way to get this done is to use the 'network  manager' on
> NT. ok, network manager does not come with the Oracle Enterprise manager.
> it's kind of hard to use a program that I do not have.
>
> some say to run some mystical program called 'net_conf' on UNIX. the
> problem with this is that they don't tell you where to get this. I have
> searched all oracle unix cds and it is nowhere to be found.

I've never found anyone who has used these programs to configure SQL*Net.

> some say 'it's easy.. just edit the config files yourself!' ok, this is
> fine. I've grabbed some various examples on the 4 or so different .ora
> files that I am supposed to have and tried to throw something together.
> didn't work.

Ok, you need three files:

$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora

                           sqlnet.ora
                           tnsnames.ora

Here's a minimal listener.ora which will hang on a port:

LISTENER=(ADDRESS_LIST=

	        (ADDRESS=
        	        (COMMUNITY=<make something up>)
                	(PROTOCOL=tcp)
                	(HOST=<this machine's hostname>)
                	(PORT=<1521 or 1525, check etc/services for conflicts>
)
        	)
	    )

SID_LIST_LISTENER=(SID_LIST=
        	(SID_DESC=
                	(SID_NAME=<sid of db>)
                	(ORACLE_HOME=<oracle_home for this db>)
        	)

)
#end of listener.ora

sqlnet.ora doesn't have much except tuning parameters. Try leaving it empty.

tnsnames.ora:

<sid of db, or other name of your choice>= (DESCRIPTION=

        (ADDRESS=
                (COMMUNITY=<same as above>)
                (PROTOCOL=tcp)
                (HOST=<same as above>)
                (PORT=<same as above>)
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA=
                (SID=<same as above>)
        )

)
#end of tnsnames.ora

Once these are in, do

 lsnrctl start
 tnsping <name in tnsnames.ora>

If it succeeds, the listener is happy (although the db could be dead for all it cares). Try

sqlplus uid/pwd@<name in tnsnames>

And check that the db is really there.

Next try moving tnsnames.ora to the NT machine (I know not where) and merge it with whatever tnsnames.ora is already there. If you have some other naming adapter in place you'll have to transfer the info into it to make it work. Try tnsping there and see what you get.

One caveat on the above setup: there's no IPC (interprocess communication) address set up for local connections. However remote connections don't need this, and it's simpler this way.

> I've searched far and wide for documentation on this. I would love to
> find something that went through an installation of sql*net on solaris and
> the OEM on NT and how to get the two to talk to each other. I would think
> that this is a very common thing for people to be setting up. But I
> cannot find ANY information on this that makes any sense.

Making sense is platform-specific and is therefore omitted from generic Oracle documentation.

Try appendix A of "Understanding SQL*Net". Apparently Oracle decided we don't need a reference guide on this stuff, but someone managed to get it into this book. It's on CD rom if you don't have the paper. Received on Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT