oracle sql*net config files?!?!?!

From: Jonathan E Geibel <jgeibel+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: 1997/08/13

ok.

one question:

    how the heck do you get sql*net working on a unix box?

background:

   I installed the Oracle server 7.3.3 on my Solaris 2.5.1 UNIX Workstation along with the array of other products that came on the Oracle 7.3.3 CD. I configured the server and everything is running as planned.

I would then like to use the Oracle Enterprise Manager on Windows NT 4.0 to give me a nice GUI interface to the Oracle Server running on the Solaris box. I'm guessing that the only way to do this is to connect the machines via SQL*NET. Problem: so far I have not found a way to configure the UNIX side of the SQL*NET. I have read dozens of different manuals on SQL*NET and Oracle, all which give me different directions on how to get this working.

some say the only way to get this done is to use the 'network manager' on NT. ok, network manager does not come with the Oracle Enterprise manager. it's kind of hard to use a program that I do not have.

some say to run some mystical program called 'net_conf' on UNIX. the problem with this is that they don't tell you where to get this. I have searched all oracle unix cds and it is nowhere to be found.

some say to use the sql scripts that are in $ORACLE_HOME/network/config/sql to create these config files. great. my network/config/sql directory is empty. next...

some say 'it's easy.. just edit the config files yourself!' ok, this is fine. I've grabbed some various examples on the 4 or so different .ora files that I am supposed to have and tried to throw something together. didn't work.

I've searched far and wide for documentation on this. I would love to find something that went through an installation of sql*net on solaris and the OEM on NT and how to get the two to talk to each other. I would think that this is a very common thing for people to be setting up. But I cannot find ANY information on this that makes any sense.

is there anyone that knows how to accomplish this task? is there any documentation out there that goes through this installation?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

my email address is jgeibel_at_pitt.edu. If anyone has any insight on this, please send me some email or post a reply...

thank you,

Jon

Jonathan E Geibel

UNIX Workstation Support Group