Excel to Oracle data loading

From: Sarabjeet Singh <sarab_at_pop.jaring.my>
Date: 1997/08/03

Currently I'm responsible for the system test data in a large dynamic project. We define our test data in excel spreadshets and use the following steps to get the data into our Oracle DB.

  1. Run script to convert excel file into fixed column width text file.
  2. FTP text data file to unix server
  3. create SQL-Load control file using a script that generates the file by querying the database
  4. run SQL-Load to upload test data into database tables.

This whole process is a pain in the rear 'cos it takes a while especially if we have a quick fix like if a table has a new column in it, etc. What I'm looking for is a way to load my data in excel on Win 95 straight to Oracle on our unix server. Any suggestions??? I'd like to keep the master data in excel format.

Cheers Received on Sun Aug 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT