Re: Is triggers really necessary ?

From: Tim Hall <tim.hall_at_tswi.com>
Date: 1997/07/30

Terrence Wong wrote:

> Gurus, experts, experienced users...
>
> Am writing scripts in PL/SQL for the web environment. Have been
> constantly reading up fresh interesting articles from this newsgroup.
> Hope you could help answer my curiosity.
> Question. Is triggers neccesary ?
>
> (1) Are there examples of implementation of triggers in a web
> environments.
> (2) When do we use triggers, eg. cascading deletes etc. ?
> (3) Is maintaing triggers difficult, if the underlying structure of the
> programs need changing ?
> (4) Impact on performance within the web environment using triggers.
> (5) Lastly, is triggers neccessary ?

It all depends on how you write your application. If the front-end app. (web server or whatever) issues SQL inserts and updates directly, triggers come in handy when there is a need to update other tables as well. In our application, all our front-end programs perform their updates via procedures, and *never* hit the tables directly. All business logic, validate etc is performed in these procedures. The only things we use triggers for is for maintaining audit columns (date last updated, user updated by etc.) Received on Wed Jul 30 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT