Re: Newbie: Easy question re. SETUP

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/07/23

If the CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT you list is literally the one you are using, its syntax is wrong in several ways:

  1. INITIAL and NEXT parameters refer to segment sizes, i.e. you need to put a K (for Kilobytes) or M (for Megabytes) after 3 and 10240, respectively, like you did for the OPTIMAL parameter (but without the space between 250 and K, i.e. 250K, not 250 K).
  2. The MAXEXTENTS parameter is probably an illegal value. The max value for MAXEXTENTS is 505 for 8K ORACLE block size. You can use 16K and even 32K block sizes, and maybe in those situations you may have such a high value for MAXEXTENTS.
  3. PCTINCREASE parameter is not used for rollback segments.
  4. OPTIMAL (and *not* OPTIMAL TO) is a STORAGE parameter, i.e. its place is before the ")", not after.

The error message you received seems a bit odd to me, though. Before setting the COMPATIBLE parameter to the appropriate value, try using the correct syntax and see what happens. OTOH, it is not a bad idea to set it too, just to avoid other real problems (i.e. using 7.3.3.0.0-only features) further down the road.

Hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu