Re: Newbie: Easy question re. SETUP

From: Byron Pearce <bpearce_at_csac.com>
Date: 1997/07/22

Jason Berryhill wrote:

> I hope this is an easy question:

Let's give it a shot.

> I have just set up my first ORACLE db 7.3.2.0 on HP-UX 10.10
> on a
> 9000/735. The database is created. I am trying to add tablespaces.
> used the following command to create a rollback segment first:
>
> CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_1
> TABLESPACE SYSTEM
> STORAGE ( INITIAL 3
> MINEXTENTS 121
> MAXEXTENTS 10240
> NEXT 10240
> PCTINCREASE 0)
> OPTIMAL TO 250 K;
>
> I receive this error message:
> CREATE ROLLBACK SEGMENT rbs_1
> *
> ORA-00406: COMPATIBLE parameter needs to be 7.3.0.0.0 or greater
>
> Does anyone know what this error message signifies? I don't have a
> reference for SQL error messages yet, and I need to get this going for

> my
> developers. The same message appears for when I tried to create a
> TABLESPACE. ANY help is appeciated.

You have invoked a MAXEXTENTS greater than 505 (assuming you have 8k blocks) and that is what is causing the problem. Exceeding the block limits is a new feature of Oracle v7.3. Apparently your database is not

set to this. Simply make the following change in your INIT.ORA parameter file:

    COMPATIBLE=7.3 The value is probably set to a different value. You can also check to see what the current value is by issuing the following command:

SELECT value
FROM v$parameter
WHERE name = 'compatible'
/

This parameter allows you to make sure that code written on one database

will work on another. Assume that your development database is 7.3 and your production database is 7.1 (for whatever reason). You could set the compatible parameter to 7.1 and it would make certain that nothing existed which could not be ported to the other database. Your MAXEXTENTS above are a good case in point. Exceeding the block limits only happens in 7.3 or higher.

Let me know if this confuses you or if you have any other questions.

Byron Pearce                         mailto:bpearce_at_csac.com
Systems Consultant                   http://www.csac.com
Computer Systems Authority (CSA)     Dallas, Texas

"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."