Re: How to Expand system tablespace

From: Ian Cary <cary_at_gatwick.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Date: 1997/07/22

Mel Lord-Lloyd wrote:

> new to the world of the oracle dba. I seem to be having problems
> creating a new datafile for the system tablespace. Since autoextend was
> not enabled when the database was created, I have to do this manually.
> The question is, how? The following syntax does not work.
>
> alter tablespace SYSTEM add datafile 'd:\orant\database\sys2orcl.ora'
> size 50M
>
> any ideas?

From the information you provide I can see no good reason for the alter tablespace command to fail. I can only hazard a guess that either your database is down or that the file you are trying to add already exists. If neither of these is the case you might want to send me the ORA message you are getting.

Regardless of all that, the best method to choose (assuming you have 7.2 or greater) is to;

alter database datafile 'existing system datafile' resize xxxM;

incidently substituting the resize xxxM for autoextend on; is also possible but I prefer to retain control myself.

Hope this helps.

Ian Cary Received on Tue Jul 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT