Re: NLS Characterset problem on Export/Import

From: Jurij Modic <jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si>
Date: 1997/07/12

On 11 Jul 1997 19:45:55 GMT, "Doug Smith" <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com> wrote:

>I have the NLS_CHARACTERSET set to WE8ISO8859P1 on a 7.3.2 database on
>HPUX.
>
>When I export a table with foreign characters, truncate the data in the
>table, and import the data back, the foreign characters are missing and
>non-foreign characters are in their place. I am doing the export/import on
>the database server itself, not across sqlnet.
>
>What am I doing wrong ???
>
>I can't find any reference in the manuals as to any option I need to
>specifiy in the export/import programs.
>
>Thanks !!!

I've had the same problem once. In my case the reason was I've had no NLS_LANG environment variable defined, so oracle took the default (AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII), corrupting all 8-bit caharacters.

Have your appropriate NLS_LANG environment variable defined when you do imp/exp and I think your problems will gone.

For example, in sh define
$ NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 $export NLS_LANG

Regards,

Jurij Modic                             Republic of Slovenia
jurij.modic_at_mf.sigov.mail.si		Ministry of Finance
The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Sat Jul 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT