Re: Attentions DBAs - Does this make sense

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_no-spam.pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/07/09

> Remember you can always re-org by exporting and importing (COMPRESS=Y
> during exp).
>
> In our SAP environment, we try to grow no more than 1 extent per
> segment
> per month. We start off with a guesstimate NEXT set to perhaps 50% of
>
> INITIAL, then look for growth and adjust NEXT as needed to keep
> extents
> low.

Look at the Oracle white papers on Space Management and the Advanced DBA Handbook. Using COMPRESS=Y is a very poor way of managing space in your database, and just proves that the storage settings you are using are incorrect.

I always go for 16K, 32K, 64K, etc., etc. sized extents and *linear* growth, not using a PCTINCREASE figure which would give *exponential* growth. Again, this is as recommended by Oracle on their training courses and in their white papers.

Just my opinion...

Steve Phelan. Received on Wed Jul 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT