Re: Attentions DBAs - Does this make sense

From: T <tgasper_at_highlandil.com>
Date: 1997/07/09

Depending on your INITIAL extent, be careful. You may very quickly burn through 100s of extents if you're talking large tables. A MAXEXTENT setting will fix that but break your system if things get out of hand. Remember you can always re-org by exporting and importing (COMPRESS=Y during exp).

In our SAP environment, we try to grow no more than 1 extent per segment per month. We start off with a guesstimate NEXT set to perhaps 50% of INITIAL, then look for growth and adjust NEXT as needed to keep extents low.

If you get into a jamb where you need a large extent right now...Add a datafile. Received on Wed Jul 09 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT