Re: Problems setting up a Names Server

From: Amit Aggarwal <amaggarwal_at_kendle.com>
Date: 1997/07/08

rtravsky_at_uwyo.edu wrote:

> We're having a spot of trouble bringing up a names server
> on our system (Oracle 7.3). We *think* we've got
> everything set up right, but we get some puzzling error
> messages.
>
> Immediately upon starting namesctl, we get the message
>
> NNL-00018: warning: could not contact default name server
>
> That's before we can start anything! The listener works ok,
> we can connect to the database, etc, so this seems odd.
>
> If we issue a start command, we get error
>
> NNO-00300: Message 300 not found; No message file for
> product=NETWORK, facility=NNO
>
> Trying to specify a server gets us
>
> NMP-00007: I/O failure
> NPL-00309: requested ASN.1 type tag 16 does not match
> received type tag 1
>
> Ok, we're stumped. The messages book doesn't list these
> and we haven't been able to find anything on the web. We
> have a call in to Oracle Support but as this is a "peak
> calling period" we've had to leave a message (no callback
> yet).
>
> Any hints greatly appreciated!
>
> (Please CC me by email. Our feed - thank you Sprint [NOT] -
> is extremely flaky. In fact, I'm using DejaNews to post
> this as I have no guarantee this'll get out otherwise.)

What is the name of the name server you have created. If you do not specify the name in the namesctl start command, it assumes a default name of NameServer.

Then there could be a problem of ports. Make sure on that. Try to use default values on that. See if the port number in the file 'names.ora' is same as the port numnber on which the listner is running.

Let me know if you still get problems. We are running Oracle Names here and I know very well how it works.

amit Received on Tue Jul 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT