Re: Problems setting up a Names Server

From: xiong feng <xiong_at_meibm7.cen.uiuc.edu>
Date: 1997/07/08

rtravsky_at_uwyo.edu writes:

>Immediately upon starting namesctl, we get the message

> NNL-00018: warning: could not contact default name server

>That's before we can start anything! The listener works ok,
>we can connect to the database, etc, so this seems odd.

This is completely normal. Every time you start the namesctl, it will try to connect to the name server. But of course, on the first time, the name server haven't started yet, so namesctl couldn't connect to anything, and it'll return that error message. Just type "start" at the namesctl prompt or "namesctl start" at the UNIX prompt to start the names server.

>If we issue a start command, we get error

> NNO-00300: Message 300 not found; No message file for
> product=NETWORK, facility=NNO

the error message for NNO 300:

00300, 00000, "no listen addresses specified, at least one is required"

// *Cause: the server's configuration is missing addresses on which to
// listen.
// *Action: An internal error not normally visible to the user.  Contact
// Worldwide Customer Support.

Hmm... looks like you didn't specify the port number for the names server to listen on. You have to go back to network manager and reconfigure the names server.

--
____   __   ___   ___  ====== Feng Xiong =========== xiong_at_uiuc.edu =====
   /  /  | |   |    /   Traded left kidney for |  Will now trade spleen