SQL Hints under OpenVMS/Oracle version 7.1.3

From: <cissmjg_at_njtransit.state.nj.us>
Date: 1997/06/30

I have a query that runs under Personal Oracle (7.3) with no problem. The basic structure is as follows :

SELECT /*+ FIRST_ROWS INDEX(indexname, specific_index) ORDERED #whatever */ . . FROM indexname, ..., ..., . . WHERE . . AND Rownum<480 . .

When I attempt to run this under OpenVMS/Oracle (7.1.3), I received the first 479 rows in the !physical order! of the file. If I remove the Rownum statement, I receive ALL of the rows in the proper order.

I checked the OPTIMIZER MODE and it is set to CHOOSE. I don't know if this is correct or not.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!