ProC SQLNET Help!

From: <cpw_at_slip.net>
Date: 1997/06/23

I am attempting to write some small C utilities to help with some day-to-day queries. My machine is running Solaris 2.5 and has tools from the 7.3.2.1 disc. I'm attempting to connect through the tcp adapter. When I attempt to connect to the remote database I get back the error message: ORA-12203: TNS: unable to connect to destination. The tnsnames.ora file I'm using works fine with sql*plus from my machine. The tnsnames entry I'm using is below:

PROD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = hostname) <-- with real hostname
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = PRODUCT)
    )
)

When I look at the sqlnet.log file generated, I see the following:

Fatal OSN connect error 12203, connecting to:

(DESCRIPTION=(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=SID_NAME)(CID=(PROGRAM=)(HOST=MY_HOST)(USER=MY_USERNAME)))(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=PROD))(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=hostname)(Port=1521))))

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for Solaris: Version 2.3.2.1.0 - Production
	Unix Domain Socket IPC NT Protocol Adaptor for Solaris: Version 2.3.2.1.0
- Production
  Time: 23-JUN-97 13:40:12
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 12203
    TNS-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination     ns main err code: 12538
    TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter     ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 508
    TNS-00508: No such protocol adapter
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

When I set the TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT to 16, and filter through the tracefile I see that the tnsnames.ora lookup is fine, then it attempts to map the "ipc" into it. Sorry if I'm totally confused on this one, but I can't seem to find helpful info. in any of the SQL*NET docs. If anyone knows how to get past this off the top of their head I would appreciate any input you might have. The program I'm now trying to use for a sample connect is the "sample1.pc" which comes with the Oracle Server distribution.

Within the .pc file I also declared a db_name and a db_string to connect through, but no luck. Thanks in advance for any info. you might have that is useful.

Coburn Watson
Systems/DB admin
Information Access Company
cpw_at_slip.net