Re: Multiple Cursors in PL/SQL?

From: Chrysalis <cellis_at_iol.ie>
Date: 1997/06/14

Michael Fanelli wrote:

> This is really strange! I have a small piece of PL/SQL code that has two
> explicit cursors. There are two loops: the outer loop fetches records from
> cursor 1, the inner loop fetches records from cursor two based on the
> results from cursor 1. The inner loop always does a CLOSE before exiting
> back to the outer loop.
>
> The problem is that I keep getting a "cursor already open" error on the
> inner loop. I have tried putting a "IF C2%ISOPEN ...." to close the cursor
> right before I open it again. Yet, nothing helps.
>
> The only reason I can come up with (and it does seem unlikely) is that
> PL/SQL can only have one cursor open at a time. Is this true? Thanks!
>
> mike
> mfanelli_at_dimensional.com

Difficult without seeing the code.

Do you perchance have a construction like:

for C_record in C_cursor
loop

    open C_cursor;
    close C_cursor;
end loop;

??

The explicit open and close statements are redundant since both are implicit in the for ... construction.

Hope this helps.

Chrysalis. Received on Sat Jun 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT