Bizarre Behavior of > 2 GB Export (NT)

From: Chris Hamilton <chrish_at_wnmail.att.com>
Date: 1997/06/06

I've recently been upgrading and cleaning up a reporting database I "inherited". The system was Oracle 7.1 on NT 3.51, NTFS partitions. I upgraded the database to 7.3 and have ordered the NT 4.0 upgrade. I decided to create a new database to solve a lot of problems that whoever installed the "starter" database had left.

I did a full export of the database, using the command-line "EXP73.EXE" program. The resultant dmp file was 2.9 GB in size. The log file showed no errors, each table exported with the proper number of rows, etc. The file showed up on the filesystem as 2.9 GB. I'm not an NT guru. I wasn't even sure that NT allowed > 2 GB files, but I figured if it let me create it, it's okay. On a Unix without > 2 GB file support that I've used, the export process crashes when it tries to write a row past that limit.

After I created the new database, I went to import back in, and the import (IMP73.EXE) crashed after a while, with an IMP-00009 error, "abnormal end of export file." Several million rows had been imported, but one critical table was not (was after the error in the file).

I notice now that the dmp file has been truncated to exactly 2 GB!!!!!! Does this suck or what? EXP73 and/or NT lets you create a > 2 GB file, but either IMP73 or NT destroyed that same file when trying into use it for an import.

Oracle Support had no clues whatsoever. They just said, maybe NT had a error writing to disk that it didn't report to the EXP73 process. Bummer. AMF. I was able to recover the important data from another dmp file I had made earlier, and none of the data is unreconstructable, but that kind of sucks nonetheless!

Anyone have any light to shed on this?

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- chrish_at_wnmail.att.com
AT&T WorldNet Service -- Lincroft, NJ
City of Washington Pipe Band -- USA
http://www.serve.com/cowpb/chamilton.html Received on Fri Jun 06 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT