Re: Can 2 databases on the same machine?

From: Detlev Goebel <detlev.goebel_at_gzs.de>
Date: 1997/06/05

zhang wrote:

> connected to the server. The server is running Solaries 2.5.1 OS,
> right now we have a running database ( inventory) in oracle account,
> when I try to create another database( accounts) in oracle account, I
> always got an error saying " can't start, the instance is already
> running ora 01081', it asked me to shutdown frist.But when I statup
> again, it only can start one db,the second will not be allowed to
> start, do you think I can start both databse on the same account
> on the same machine?
> Second, I tried to create a database manually in a different account,
> with all required files and executables belonging to that account,
> the databse did come up, but when I tried to logon on, I always
> got a message, saying " DBMS_STANDARD must be created first, ora 6554"
> do you have any idea which script I should run to create the
> DBMS_STANDARD package ?
> Any advice will be helpful, Thanks in advance.
>
> Sean Zhang
> <zhang_at_visi.net>

Sean,

each user is in need to get the Oracle environment Variables ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_TERM. By changing ORACLE_SID you are able to switch between Instances.
You also need the Control Files to build up for more than one instance. You can do this by recreating the control files.

You will find the Scripts for the DBMS stuff in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin.
The specific file you need is dbmsutil.sql.

Hope this helps

--
Detlev Goebel

mailto:detlev.goebel_at_gzs.de