Network Server 500, TCP, Oracle !HELP!

From: Jim Pistrang <jim_at_jpcr.com>
Date: 1997/06/01

Please Help!!

I'm trying to set up a Network Server 500 with Oracle 7.3 Workgroup Server for AIX so I can access Oracle from Macintosh clients using TCP over an ethernet network. I'm having a lot of difficulty in a number of different areas...I'd LOVE to talk to someone who's got this configuration set up.

I think that part of my problem is the TCPIP setup of the 500 prior to the Oracle installation. I'm able to set up a TCP address on the 500, and successfully PING it from itself, as well as from another Mac on the network. In the TCP configuration on the 500 I also give it a Host Name and a Domain Name. I'm able to PING using the Host Name from the 500, but I'm NOT able to PING from a Mac using the Host Name, or a combination of Host Name and Domain Name. I think this is part of my problem, but I'm not sure.

When I start the Oracle installation, it prompts for a host_name.domain_name.

At the end of the Oracle install, it opens a Mosaic Browser & goes to the Oracle 'home' page. It gets confused here, and is unable to find the page, and it appears that it doesn't recognise the Domain Name portion of the address. If I do the Oracle install with no Domain Name, it hangs opening Mosaic.

Can anyone help me here!!??!!

Jim Received on Sun Jun 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT