long & long varchar

From: <ltost_at_systemautomation.com>
Date: 1997/05/28

First off, are LONG and LONG VARCHAR (2?) the same datatypes or are they different? The online oracle docs led me to believe they're the same (as well as the fact that they both show up as LONG in DESC output) but a couple of posts here make me wonder if they're different.

This question stems from a trigger problem. Here's the situation:

I have a table with a LONG column. The trigger is an "after insert" trigger which takes the new long type and sends it to a plex procedure (or at least it's supposed to).

Here's the call:
rc := vmbridge.to_vm('RETTST', substr(user,1,9), :new.policy_text); (to_vm is defined to accept a vARCHAR2, VARCHAR2, and LONG datatype).

It compiles, but when i try inserting a value, i get the following error: ERROR at line 1:

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
ORA-06512: at "SAC.T_PLCYTEXT_I_TO_VM_TRIGGER", line 21
ORA-04088: error during execution oftrigger
'SAC.T_PLCYTEXT_I_TO_VM_TRIGGER' If i call it this way (ignoring the LONG):
rc := vmbridge.to_vm('RETTST', substr(user,1,9), 'policy_text');
                (NOTE the quoted string to debug  ^^^^^^^^)
it works fine.

Can this be done or am i screwed?

Thanks.

ltost_at_systemautomation.com