Re: BITMAP INDEX doesn't work on our Oracle server 7.3.2.3.0

From: Jim Robertson <jrobert_at_ect.enron.com>
Date: 1997/05/27

Bob Morrison wrote:

> Jian Ma wrote:
> >
> > Hi experts out there:
> >
> > We have got a Oracle Server 7.3.2.3.0 running on a IBM RS6000/csaix single
> > CPU system. Everythingelse is fine.
> >
> > But when we try to create BITMAP INDEX in the system, the SQL statement
> > even can not pass the parser, say BITMAP failed to be recognised as a
> > keyword. According to your article, Oracle should start to provide BITMAP
> > index from 7.3.2.2
> >
> > Could you give me any tips on what's wrong with us?
> >
> > Following is the system information and the SQL statement to create the
> > BITMAP INDEX
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> SQL> exit
> > Disconnected from Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0 - Production Release
> > PL/SQL Release 2.3.2.3.0 - Production
> > $
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------>
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------> SQL> get create_bitmap_index
> > 1 CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)
> > 2 TABLESPACE tbspc_jianma
> > 3 STORAGE (INITIAL 20K
> > 4 NEXT 20K
> > 5 PCTINCREASE 75)
> > 6* PCTFREE 0;
> > SQL> /
> > CREATE BITMAP INDEX flight_bitmap_index_price ON flight(price)
> > *
> > ERROR at line 1:
> > ORA-00901: invalid CREATE command
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------>
> > We can create other INDEXes correctly.
> >
> > Thank you for any help
> >
> > =======================================
> > 2 B or not 2 B, it's the question of ____?
> >
> > Jian Ma
> > jma007_at_cs.auckland.ac.nz
> > jianma_at_codeworks.gen.nz
>
> In order to be able to create BITMAP Indexes you need to install the
> parallel query option.
>
> Bob Morrison

It helps to Call Oracle Support....Here are some init.ora parameters given to me by Oracle Support when I had this same problem.

# Following Parameters Recommended by Oracle to allow Bitmap Indexes to work
# with Version 7.3.2

event="10111 trace name context forever"
event="10112 trace name context forever"
event="10114 trace name context forever"

--
Jim Robertson                   Enron Capital & Trade Resources
Information Technology          1400 Smith Street