Re: BITMAP INDEX doesn't work on our Oracle server 7.3.2.3.0

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/05/28

On Tue, 27 May 1997 18:52:06 GMT, Jim Robertson <jrobert_at_ect.enron.com> wrote:

>> > We have got a Oracle Server 7.3.2.3.0 running on a IBM RS6000/csaix single
>> > CPU system. Everythingelse is fine.
>> >
>> > But when we try to create BITMAP INDEX in the system, the SQL statement
>> > even can not pass the parser, say BITMAP failed to be recognised as a
>> > keyword. According to your article, Oracle should start to provide BITMAP
>> > index from 7.3.2.2

[snip]

>> In order to be able to create BITMAP Indexes you need to install the
>> parallel query option.
>>
>> Bob Morrison
>
>It helps to Call Oracle Support....Here are some init.ora parameters
>given to me by Oracle Support when I had this same problem.
>
># Following Parameters Recommended by Oracle to allow Bitmap Indexes to
>work

 [snip]

Bitmap indexes are production in release 7.3.2.3, and do require the parallel query option. You should be able to create bitmap indexes without any special init.ora events (other than an appropriate COMPATIBILITY setting) with this release.

I heard that the 'magic cookie' (the three init.ora events) enables an alpha version of bitmap indexes in earlier releases of 7.3.2. This pre-beta feature lacks the full functionality of 7.3.2.3's bitmap indexes, and is buggy. You will be much happier if you upgrade to 7.3.2.3 before using bitmap indexes.

I strongly recommend against using the events, particularly in a production database.

>--
>Jim Robertson Enron Capital & Trade Resources
>Information Technology 1400 Smith Street
>email: jrobert_at_ect.enron.com EB-3419B
>vmail: 713/853-7801 Houston, Texas 77002
>fax: 713-646-3010

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed May 28 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT