Re: What DB to use for lots of IMAGE files?

From: Terry Carmen <tpcarmen_at_NO_EMAIL_SPAM_SEE_SIGNATURE_FOR>
Date: 1997/05/18

On Sat, 17 May 1997 04:59:08 GMT, kpijnenb_at_xs4all.nl (Kees Pijnenburg) wrote:

>tpcarmen_at_NO_EMAIL_SPAM.SEE_SIGNATURE_FOR_ADDRESS.org (Terry
>Carmen) wrote:
>
>>In any event, although it's possible to store large files in a
>>database, I've had much better performance by storing the image with
>>the native underlying filesystem, and only storing the image path and
>>filename in the database.

>>Using one of the keys as part of the path name will allow you to limit
>>the number of images in a single directory to an optimum number for
>>the filesystem.

>>For example, under NT, a maximum of a few hundred files per directory
>>seems to be optimum, so one system I wrote stores the files as:

>>ID>\<imageID.TIF>
>
>Although I fully agree with your setup, I was wondering about the
>implementation of the security. Do you have any ideas if it is
>possible to limit access based on rights to the database.

It wasn't a real problem for the app I did it with, since the people who have access to any images have access to all the images.

Nobody except the import program has write access.

You could also just store the image in the database as is normally done. I chose to use a directory structure for this application because image-level security wasn't an issue, and performance was.

A company that has different priorities may need to use a different arrangement.

Terry

Terry Carmen
Meadowbrook Software
tpcarmen_at_servtech.DeleteThisToSendMail.com

NOTE TO SPAMMERS:
BAD THINGS will happen to any site that sends me email spam. Received on Sun May 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT