Re: OFA Structure issue (for gurus only)

From: Steve Adams <steveadams_at_acslink.net.au>
Date: 1997/05/14

Hi Eric,

I don't know AIX, but under HP-UX it is the volume group and logical volume names that need to be unique for the vgimport to work. The filesystem mount points (if any, because we tend to use raw datafiles) can be changed on the fly without difficulty if necessary, and the newer versions of Oracle support this with their datafile rename capability. The real problem would be if you had not used different database names, because OFA specifies a directory level for that, although that could be addressed by changing the database name with a create controlfile and open resetlogs sequence.

The thing I don't like about OFA is that it permits different databases to share disks, which makes disk load balancing awkward. We don't permit that, and so we can put datafiles under /ora/data/dbname/disk_group. The disk_group directory is either a filesystem mount point, or more likely a directory for the symbolic links to all the raw partitions on that disk or disk group. This structure makes it immediately obvious which datafiles are physically co-located, and avoids the ugly plethora of mounts in /.

Regards, Steve Adams