OFA Structure issue (for gurus only)

From: <eric.san.andres_at_kellogg.com>
Date: 1997/05/12

  Hi!

  I am a new DBA here at our group and I've noticed something that is questionable with regards to our OFA structure.   We have this structure,

     /u020/apps/oracle/......
  that is prevalent on ALL the servers.

  Having this structure for one server only is fine, but with the same structure for all servers, quite questionable.   why?

  In AIX , there is this option for grouping Physical Volumes (disks) into volume groups. And there is also an option that this volume group could be exported to another system, PHYSICALLY.
  And this is a recovery option when the CPU crashes and the volume group of disks is still intact. Just by simply exporting that volume group and transferring that volume group to another system can be done with a snap.

  What I am trying to propose is to implement an OFA structue such as this:
  /`hostname`/u020/apps/oracle/...

  The `hostname` stands for the hostname of a particular server.   This will complement and exploit the Export/Import of Volume Group Capabilities of the UNIX file system. Such that when exporting a set of disks there will be no problems in the filesystems configuration to be encountered, when importing it, since the hostname mount point will be unique in all servers.

  I am looking for outstanding comments for this proposition.

Thanks,

Eric San Andres
eric.san.andres_at_kellogg.com