Re: ODBC - Oracle --> Access

From: Miles Thomas <thomasm_at_>
Date: 1997/05/14

Reino de Boer <sysrb_at_cs.few.eur.nl> wrote in article <5lbqib$kf8_at_popeye.eur.nl>...
> "Miles Thomas" <thomasm@"at".logica."dot".com> writes:

 [SNIPPED several items about ODBC, OCA and DEV2k]
> but because we want to (after Scott Robert Ladd 1989).
> --
> Reino R. A. de Boer
> I & A, Faculty of Economics, Erasmus University Rotterdam
> email: deboer_at_facb.few.eur.nl
> Let's provide the best service we can --- not because we have to,

Yes, you can use Oracle 'Client Side' tools eg Dev2k, etc with non-Oracle databases, even ODBC to Access.

But thats not what the original poster asked for. The original poster asked whether you could connect Oracle 7.3 on NT4.0 (as a 'client') to Access (as a server). At least, thats how it reads (when someone says Oracle 7.3, they usually mean database server.) I stand by my original response--you cannot do things like ODBC connections from the Oracle 7.3 server to access files, ie no database links, no distributed data access, no replication. The other way round (Access to Oracle via ODBC) works just fine.

--
Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd