Re: Super easy ? for you gurus

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/05/12

> Our database is actually a datawarehouse 300+ gig. We are not running
> in archivelog mode.
> My question: Why does the database need to be shutdown in order to
> perform a backup? Isn't it a read only process as far as the DB is
> concerned?
> Most of the data is historic and therefore static. Users are not able
> to add, insert or delete.
> Any answer is greatly appreciated.

If you are running Oracle 7.3 or later you should look into partitioned views (Performance tuning guide Appendix C). By using multiple tables in time sequence you can mark the static tables read only. The tables that you use for adding data can also be marked readonly after a batch load and backed up.

Hope this helps

mjr Received on Mon May 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT