Datafile recovery

From: <anaik_at_bom2.vsnl.net.in>
Date: 1997/05/07

We have Oracle 7.3.2.2 on HP-UX 10.x. We took a tar backup of the datafiles of a tablespace thinking that we could restore them whenver we required. However we found out that the datfiles cannot be recovered just by copying them(which is quite obvious, as ORACLE would need the log files of that time) after untaring and ORACLE keeps giving the error "datafile needs media recovery". When tried media recovery it gives some suggestion for archive log.
  Can anybody help in how to achieve this restoration? Thanks in advance.
Amol.