Re: Datafile recovery

From: <lous_at_hotmail.s_p_a_m.com>
Date: 1997/05/08

In Article<863021462.12470_at_dejanews.com>, <anaik_at_bom2.vsnl.net.in> writes:

> We have Oracle 7.3.2.2 on HP-UX 10.x. We took a tar backup of the
> datafiles of a tablespace thinking that we could restore them whenver we
> required. However we found out that the datfiles cannot be recovered just
> by copying them(which is quite obvious, as ORACLE would need the log files
> of that time) after untaring and ORACLE keeps giving the error "datafile
> needs media recovery". When tried media recovery it gives some suggestion
> for archive log.
> Can anybody help in how to achieve this restoration?
> Thanks in advance.
> Amol.

Firstly was the database down when doing the backups? If not you will obviously need the log files as well as setting the tablespaces into backup mode when backing it up. If it is down a normal backup would suffice. The whole procedure is quite well documented in the Oracle manuals.

Carefull with tar. It does compression and could lose some data eg repeating null values. A good test woudl be to backup one of your oracle data files with tar, restore in another dir and doing a 'sum -r' on both as well as a'diff'. (Rather use cpio anyway.)

Cheers
Lourens Received on Thu May 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT