Re: Role/Priv Implementation Problem

From: Spencer Olson <spencer_olsen_at_ssb.com>
Date: 1997/05/02

Bob wrote:

> Our end users have Oracle database access via in-house applications and through
> Microsoft Query. We are looking at the best way to implement security: using
> Oracle roles/privs vs creating user tables that specify access privs.
>
> The problem we are having with the Oracle roles/privs is that even when the
> users are not in the application, they still have the roles available in Query.
> We don't want them to have anything but read-only when outside the application.
>
> Any suggestions that might allow us to remain with Oracle roles and limit
> access outside the apps or is this perhaps not a desired way to go?

Yeah, when a user logs into Oracle using the app, reset the role to allow the privileges you want, SET ROLE <rolename>. You can even have the role password enabled so when users are using Query, they can't set the role. Thus, each user might have a default role that allows them to query, and nothing else, but in the app, their role has changed.

Spencer Olson
State Street Bank Received on Fri May 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT