Re: Unix vs. NT

From: Robert Stupp <robert.stupp_at_koeln.netsurf.de>
Date: 1997/04/27

Seymour Cray wrote:

> I'm running Novell 3.12 with an additional (small) Unix server and need to
> extend the system with an additional server that will exclusively host Oracle
> Applications. Can anybody tell me what the advantages/disadvantages of using
> Unix vs. NT (on the server part) are ? Would I have to run a Unix Emulation
> such as XVision etc. on the workstations if the user should have access to
> both Oracle and other applications (that would still reside on the Novell 3.12
> Server) ?
>
> Any comments are more than welcome ! Thank you.
>
> binggeli_at_ix.netcom.com

Hello !

I would prefer a UNIX system not running on an Intel platform, because I/O performance is much better and You can use raw partitions for Oracle. You have some advantages running the installation routine on NT - more click and go... but that's the only advantage.

Greetings,
Robert Received on Sun Apr 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT