Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Grim Reaper <grim_at_grim.reaper.org>
Date: 1997/04/24

Srinivas Thimmiah wrote:

> The tragedy is that Unix could have been at the stage that
> NT is right now had Unix vendors agreed to an API level standard
> many moons ago, but their hatred for Microsoft was only exceeded
> by their hatred for each other (remember how OSF got started)?

Since I'm new to the group, don't suppose you care to explain the OSF??? to me.

> I hope UNIX vendors realize that they are not competing against
> Microsoft but against the likes of Dell, Compaq, Gateway et. al..

And as for this statement, you are half right, the reason Microslop is so popular with the companies like Dell, Compaq, gateway, etc is the fact MS is a hell of alot easier for the Computer newbie who has just bought a computer, and knows absolutely nothing, hey, just point and click, if you have a problem phone there technical support (I work as tech support for an ISP). I use linux, and it stays up 24 hours a day, as a mail server for the friends I give mail acounts to. So I know linux pretty well, and in the beginning I had a bitch of a time getting started.

What does all this rambling mean, it means a user will buy a computer that is easy to use, Bill Gates seems to have satisfied this need, what the user does not know, is that the fact MS products are about the most inferior products on the market, and the fact that Bill Gates has the world at his feed, was by bullying them into submission by threats that they would not support that manufacturers equipment if they did not use MS products (started with MS Dos), hence came the OEM agreement.

Jason
grim_at_grim.reaper.org

Linux, the OS of the GNU generation (to the Pepsi tune)