Re: www.microsoft.com sure needs a lot of silicon

From: Srinivas Thimmiah <tsreddy_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/04/24

In article <335F7620.1A97_at_lehman.com>,
Paul David Fox <pfoxSPAMOFF_at_lehman.com> wrote:
>Steve Cole wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Paul David Fox wrote:
>>
>> > is too heavyweight. (Do the Unix community have a decent alternative
>> > to perl yet?, hint hint!).
>>
>> Yes. Python, Pike, TCL/TK, at least one other.
>
>I take it that you are joking, right? Hahahaha.
>
>I have nothing against Python, I dont know Pike, and I have
>nothing against TCL.
>
>But do you seriously think that a Unix box forking
>off processes on every HTTP request is going to compete with
>the DLL-deranged NT machines?
>
>What Mr. Gates got a clue on many moons ago and the Java
>brethren have only just realised is that APIs are the defining
>technology. Doesnt matter whether they work or not, but you
>tell people how wonderful life is with an API and people start
>turning their company over.

    Indeed! Which is why Sun is desperately launching the 100% pure Java campaign to keep Java from being hijacked by youknowwho.

>I wish Solaris 2.6 luck in its battle against NT 5.x, because that
>is the only serious Unix operating system left. (Linux probably
>comes second).
>
>| Paul David Fox Lehman Brothers. |

    The tragedy is that Unix could have been at the stage that NT is right now had Unix vendors agreed to an API level standard many moons ago, but their hatred for Microsoft was only exceeded by their hatred for each other (remember how OSF got started)?

    I hope UNIX vendors realize that they are not competing against Microsoft but against the likes of Dell, Compaq, Gateway et. al.. Received on Thu Apr 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT