Re: no rollback...

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/04/14

Thomas Kyte wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:53:40 GMT, mjr_at_netcom.com (Mark Rosenbaum)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <334BC3A7.75EB_at_medicalert.org>,
> >Tim Witort <trw_at_medicalert.org> wrote:

 Phelan
> >>Andrew is right here. Rollback segments are required to
> >>run an Oracle instance. You may as well ask, "I'd like to set up
 my
> >>car to drive with no wheels." If you are ever going to alter
 anything
> >>in the database (i.e. *ever* do an insert, update, or delete),
 then
> >>the rollbacks will be used. So, unless you are just going to
 issue
> >>the CREATE DATABASE command and do nothing else with the database
> >>(like *store data* in it or even startup the instance), you will
> >>need to define rollback segments.
> >>

> >I think that you could load the database with sqlload with
 direct=yes
> >and not use rollback seqments. Additionally, I beleive that the
> >unrecoverable option will not use rollback.
> >

> It won't use them to perform the operation but it needs them to
> record
> each of the above operations.
>
> sqlldr bypasses almost all of the sql processing but not all. space
>
> management requests will go through the database (get me an extent,
> how much space, etc.). Some of amount of sql processing is done and
>
> the operations performed on the data dictionary itself will need the
>
> rollback.
>
> the unrecoverable option will make it so that no redo/undo is
> generated, this is true, for the operation being performed. So the
> create index won't generate the stuff itself but the act of creating
>
> the index and modifying the data dictionary, will (small but still
> needed).
>
> You can't get rid of rollback. You can't get rid of logging.
>
> >Just my $0.02 worth
> >
> >mjr
>
> Thomas Kyte
> tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Government
> Bethesda MD
>
> http://govt.us.oracle.com/ -- downloadable utilities

> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
> Corporation

 This very subject - disabling rollback and/or redo has been discussed here before. As I put in my original reply to the original poster - I wouldn't recommnded him disabling either. From what was discussed previously on this subject there IS and Oracle '_xxxx' underscore style parameter than can disable redo logging database wide. However, it's not Oracle recommnded or supported hence should not be used.

Steve Phelan. Received on Mon Apr 14 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT