Re: no rollback...

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/04/13

On Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:53:40 GMT, mjr_at_netcom.com (Mark Rosenbaum) wrote:

>In article <334BC3A7.75EB_at_medicalert.org>,
>Tim Witort <trw_at_medicalert.org> wrote:
>>Andrew Knight wrote:
>>>
>>> In article <334A6A79.40B1910A_at_pmcgettigan.demon.co.uk>, Steve Phelan
>>Andrew is right here. Rollback segments are required to
>>run an Oracle instance. You may as well ask, "I'd like to set up my
>>car to drive with no wheels." If you are ever going to alter anything
>>in the database (i.e. *ever* do an insert, update, or delete), then
>>the rollbacks will be used. So, unless you are just going to issue
>>the CREATE DATABASE command and do nothing else with the database
>>(like *store data* in it or even startup the instance), you will
>>need to define rollback segments.
>>

>I think that you could load the database with sqlload with direct=yes
>and not use rollback seqments. Additionally, I beleive that the
>unrecoverable option will not use rollback.

It won't use them to perform the operation but it needs them to record each of the above operations.

sqlldr bypasses almost all of the sql processing but not all. space management requests will go through the database (get me an extent, how much space, etc.). Some of amount of sql processing is done and the operations performed on the data dictionary itself will need the rollback.

the unrecoverable option will make it so that no redo/undo is generated, this is true, for the operation being performed. So the create index won't generate the stuff itself but the act of creating the index and modifying the data dictionary, will (small but still needed).

You can't get rid of rollback. You can't get rid of logging.

>Just my $0.02 worth
>
>mjr

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Bethesda MD

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Apr 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT