Re: system passwd viewable via ps -ef

From: Jim Robertson <jrobert_at_ect.enron.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

John Strange wrote:

> Space padding does not always work on all systems.
>
> We have settled on making a long directory name an linking
> sqlplus to the oralce home/bin.
> Then we make a synonym to launch sqlplus or loader or what ever.
>
> example of ecmsql
> the \ is line continueation so my mailer will not complain about a long line.
>
> ecmsql is an alias for \
> /export/home/dscapps/dsceng/group/bin\
> /a_really_long_directory_name/sqlplus $ecmpw
>
> Contents of the long directory
> browser20m -> /opt/developer2000_v1/bin/browser20m
> f45desm -> /opt/developer2000_v1/bin/f45desm
> sqlldr -> /opt/oracle716/bin/sqlldr
> sqlplus -> /opt/oracle716/bin/sqlplus
>
> Nisar Ahmad (nisar_at_jansher.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : Rich Headrick wrote:
> : >
> : > How do surpass the ps -ef | grep <user>/<passwd>. Is there a way to
> : > pass a variable that doesn't show up using ps -ef?
> : >
> : > Please emial.
> : >
> : > Best regards,
> : >
> : > Rich

> : What you can do is to pad out the command line with lots of spaces
> : before the username / password so that it goes off the end of the screen
> : and you can't see it when you do a ps -ef.

> : For example :

> : sqlplus system/password

> : hope that helps

> : Nisar
>
> --
> This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
> official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
> opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.

The best method is to imbed the SQL inside of a shell script define SYSTEM_LOGIN in a Unix File

the sql shell then would be

source (password file)

sqlplus <<EOF
$SYSTEM_LOGIN

.
.  your sql commands
.
.

EOF
--
Jim Robertson                   Enron Capital & Trade Resources
Information Technology          1400 Smith Street