Re: system passwd viewable via ps -ef

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1997/04/11

Space padding does not always work on all systems.

We have settled on making a long directory name an linking sqlplus to the oralce home/bin.
Then we make a synonym to launch sqlplus or loader or what ever.

example of ecmsql
 the \ is line continueation so my mailer will not complain about a long line.

ecmsql is an alias for \

   /export/home/dscapps/dsceng/group/bin\ /a_really_long_directory_name/sqlplus $ecmpw

Contents of the long directory

	browser20m -> /opt/developer2000_v1/bin/browser20m
	f45desm -> /opt/developer2000_v1/bin/f45desm
	sqlldr -> /opt/oracle716/bin/sqlldr
	sqlplus -> /opt/oracle716/bin/sqlplus

Nisar Ahmad (nisar_at_jansher.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Rich Headrick wrote:
: >
: > How do surpass the ps -ef | grep <user>/<passwd>. Is there a way to
: > pass a variable that doesn't show up using ps -ef?
: >
: > Please emial.
: >
: > Best regards,
: >
: > Rich

: What you can do is to pad out the command line with lots of spaces
: before the username / password so that it goes off the end of the screen
: and you can't see it when you do a ps -ef.

: For example :

: sqlplus system/password

: hope that helps

: Nisar

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you