Re: Reasonable Table Size

From: Rainer Leicht <rainer.leicht_at_switzerland.NCR.com>
Date: 1997/04/07

Ron Lammardo wrote:

> We are creating a new application using 2 Gig of data per week with 2
> years on line (approx 104 gig total). This is all "logically" a
> single table. Does anyone have a feel for what a reasonable size is
> for large tables? Can this be created as a single table, or should it
> be broken into smaller tables (if so, what size) and joined via a
> view? My fear is that the maintenance on such a large table would be
> costly and would make exporting/importing if needed impossible. Also
> expensive would be loading the data each week and rebuilding the
> entire index.
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Ron Lammardo
> NYS Department of Social Services
> Albany,NY

Just in case you have not decided on which DBMS to go for that project:

Teradata RDBMS will host that amount of data (and much more if needed). This system makes heavy use of parallelism. Based on hash algorithms it automatically distributes data to different disks. Adding new data will not require an index rebuild, since Teradata already 'knows' where it has stored the data.

More informations on Teradata are available from http://www.ncr.com/product/teradata

--
Best regards
Rainer Leicht, NCR (Switzerland)

Email: rainer.leicht_at_switzerland.NCR.com