Re: Reasonable Table Size

From: Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1997/04/07

Ron Lammardo wrote:

> We are creating a new application using 2 Gig of data per week with 2
> years on line (approx 104 gig total). This is all "logically" a
> single table. Does anyone have a feel for what a reasonable size is
> for large tables? Can this be created as a single table, or should it
> be broken into smaller tables (if so, what size) and joined via a
> view? My fear is that the maintenance on such a large table would be
> costly and would make exporting/importing if needed impossible. Also
> expensive would be loading the data each week and rebuilding the
> entire index.

104G table is not impossibly sized. But such a large table need extra care. Of course the first question is DO YOU REALLY NEED SUCH A LARGE TABLE ? You keep it for reporting purpose ? Or it's legal requirement ?
Can you keep most of the data only in summary level ?

But anyway, whatever you do, don't break them into small table and join in views. You will regret it. Received on Mon Apr 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CDT