Re: export/import and sequences

From: Medic Alert <news_at_medicalert.org>
Date: 1997/03/19

janet wrote:

> Hi gurus,
> i've checked dejanews but i don't see this exact topic
> covered. sorry for the newbie question.
>
> database 1:
> we have a table with a sequence. we export the table.
>
> database 2:
> we drop the table, we import it from above. (no special
> parameters)
>
> does the sequence get recreated?

No. Sequences are distinct database objects and would not be dropped or created as the result of these actions.

> do the #'s on the 2 databases match? (this is what i really want)

If you mean, do the values in the columns of the table match, then yes. What you exported is what you get imported.

> can i drop the sequence & not recreate it to make the #'s
> match?

This doesn't quite make sense. If the table has a column which gets its values from a sequence, then you should create the sequence on Database #2 before you import the table (probably could do it after as well, but doing it before is probably more prudent). To create the sequence on Database #2, you could either do it manually with the CREATE SEQUENCE command using values which will synchronize it with the Database #1 sequence (by looking in SYS.DBA_SEQUENCES). Or you could do a full user export/import or a full database export/import which will include sequences.