redo copy latch

From: Randy H. Julien <julienr_at_ncr.disa.mil>
Date: 1997/03/13

Fellow DBA's

I am trying to improve upon my very poor .003 redo copy latch hit ratio by prebuilding some/all of the redo entries. Documentation states that setting init.ora entry LOG_ENTRY_PREBUILD_THRESHOLD to > 0 bytes, along with increased LOG_SIMULTANEOUS_COPIES, does the trick. Problem is, it appears that Oracle no longer supports the THRESHOLD setting. I queried v$parameter and it doesn't appear. I am running Oracle 7.3.2.1 on SUN/Solaris 2.4 with 4 processors. Has this setting been replaced. And if so, how can I improve the nearly 0 hit ratio? Note that the COPIES setting is at 8 (twice # of CPUs), and LOG_SMALL_ENTRY_MAX_SIZE = 0 to eliminate the redo allocation latch.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Randy Received on Thu Mar 13 1997 - 00:00:00 CST