Read Only Tablespaces: DROP TABLE Works??

From: Dan Townsend <townsend_at_ebmud.com>
Date: 1997/03/12

We have just been testing Oracle 7.3 and Read Only tablespaces. We were surprised to find that after making a tablespace Read Only we could successfully drop tables in it. Apparently Oracle drops the tables out of the data dictionary without touching the tablespace...?

Does anyone know what this would mean in a recovery situation? We had planned to put large static tables in a Read Only tablespace, back them up once, then ignore them. If a drop of those tables removes them from the data dictionary, how can a restore be done on the tablespace?

Any experiences or knowledge sharing will be appreciated.