Re: ARCHIVE LOG MODE

From: Sean Kubovcik <Sean.Kubovcik_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/03/01

turner_at_more.net (David Turner) wrote:

> I set archive logging to true altered the database and did the same,
>restarted the database, and performed some inserts to see if oracle created
>some ar*.log files. I haven't seen any and was wondering if I had to create
>the directory for oracle so that it can archive.

> By default oracle writes the archive logs to

>$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/arch but the arch directory isn't present. Do I have to wait
>til a certain number of transactions have occurred before Oracle creates the
>first archive log file?

> Thanks for the help, David Turner

The arch directory needs to exist or change your pfile parameter to a directory that does exist.

The logfile needs to fill up, thus causing a log switch and writing an archive log file. You can cause Oracle to log switch manually by issuing the following command:

        alter system switch logfile;
You should see the new arch file in the directory that you pfile is pointing to.

In sqldba/svrmgr issue the following command to see the status of the archivelog mode:

        archive log list

Good luck.
Sean Received on Sat Mar 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CST