Re: ARCHIVE LOG MODE

From: Greg <puckag_at_sprintmail.com>
Date: 1997/03/02

David Turner wrote:

> I set archive logging to true altered the database and did the same,
> restarted the database, and performed some inserts to see if oracle created
> some ar*.log files. I haven't seen any and was wondering if I had to create
> the directory for oracle so that it can archive.
>
> By default oracle writes the archive logs to
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/arch but the arch directory isn't present. Do I have to wait
> til a certain number of transactions have occurred before Oracle creates the
> first archive log file?
>
> Thanks for the help, David Turner

The parameters to set in the init<sid>.ora or config<sid>.ora

   log_archive_dest - Needs to be set to the location you want the archive logs

                      to be placed in. On some systems this will also
include
                      the start of the filename, I believe PO7 is
different.
                      Example

                         /u01/app/oracle/admin/PROD/arch/arch
                                               |    |    |
                                      sid name-|    |    |
                                                    |    |
                                  archive directory-|    |

                           start of the archive filename-|

   log_archive_format - This parameter controls the rest ot the archive filename.

                          _%t%s.log
                            | |
                 The thread-| |

      The log sequence number-|

   lag_archive_start - This will enable automatic archiving. Starts the ARCH

                       background process.

I do not believe you are able to start the database with an invalid path in the
log_archive_dest parameter.

Archive files are written when a redo log fills forcing a log switch.

To enable archivelog mode, start the database in a mount mode. Then issue

   alter database archivelog;

then you can open the database. To view the archive status

   archive log list;

Hope this helps.

--
Greg Pucka