How to tell if Oracle is ready?

From: Scott Mattes <smattes_at_erols.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

On the computer we run our app on, Oracle is down for a certain time each night. The only thing is that we can not be sure exactly when this will be (once a human policy is 'set in concrete' people tend to forget that it is subject to change). We also have jobs that get scheduled to run over night and I need to be sure that they don't run until Oracle is up and ready. I also need to get them run as soon as possible so that the users have their output waiting for them in the morning.

I have tried to use 'ps -eaf | grep x_$ORACLE_SID', where x has been 'dbwr', 'smon' or 'd001' to no avail. If I schedule a job to start even 3 seconds after the last dameon is up (d001 seems to be the last one up) I get an error saying Oracle shutdown/initialization is in progress and can not connect.

What should I be keying on to determine that the instance is ready to work?

Thank you.

Scott Mattes
smattes_at_erols.com

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the  teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and  in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically  Christian." - United States Supreme Court, 1892.

Don't support forced abortions -- boycott 'made in China'!

Check out the U. S. Taxpayers' Party at www.ustaxpayers.org

Watch your government employees at http://www.vote-smart.org Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST