Re: How to tell if Oracle is ready?

From: Steve Harville <jsharville_at_fleetguard.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

This is my db_status script. You have to make sure your environment is set correctly. If you don't have dba privleges, change connect internal to connect your_login/password.
#
db_status_check()
{
sqldba lmode=y <<EOFdb_status
connect internal
select * from dual;
exit
EOFdb_status
}
#
echo "$ORACLE_SID is \c"
if [ `db_status_check | grep -c ORA` -gt 0 ]  then
  echo 'down'
 else
  echo 'up'
fi