Re: Concurrency question.

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

To avoid ambiguity, I will assume "write to the same table" means any of INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE. And as well, I'll define "will Oracle handle it" as not causing a user to wait.

It does not matter that you establish 100 different database connections, each authenticating as the same user. As far as Oracle is concerned, these are 100 distinct database connections.

Now if each of these client connections is issuing a DML statement that will cause some form of modification to a single row in a single table, then using your definition, Oracle will be able to handle it. Oracle will not lock out any user.

This is in contrast to some database products, which either use database page locks, or will escalate locks to either the page or table level. Using these products, a user may have to wait to update a row if that row they are attempting to modify is on the same database page as a row that is being updated by someone else. Concurrency nightmare....

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:36:17 +0000, Bryan Dollery <Bryan_at_Bryan.ftech.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am writting an app that will log into oracle upto 100 times
>concurrently using the same username/password/instance. If all of these
>instances were to attempt to write to the same table simultaneously will
>Oracle handle it.
>
>(The app is running on a multi-processor machine, so the concurrency is
>real.)
>
>I know that Oracle provides row level locking, but I wouldn't be
>accessing the same row concurrently. I am not shure anyway if this
>locking occurs between different users, rather than the same user
>multiple times.
>
>Any guidance would be appreciated greatly.
>
>Thanx.
>
>Bryan
>--
>Bryan Dollery BSc(Hons)
>ByteSmart Systems Ltd.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman          Creating the networked society!
Oracle Government          http://govt.us.oracle.com
Bethesda, MD
jkallman_at_us.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST