Re: Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

From: Tim Vannaman <tvannaman_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

> So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
> have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
> time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
> shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
> the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
> the dummy?

Yes, you may run multiple DB's on the same machine. Just make sure you change your
ORACLE_SID environment variable before creating the new one.

Is the "real" database currently in production or is it still in development? How big
is your "dummy" database going to be?

If your dummy database is small and doesn't use many mips, you shouldn't have to worry about
upgrading your machine. I stress the word SHOULDN'T as I don't know all the details.

Tim. Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST